Thursday, July 2, 2009

Wet, salmon-coloured nightmares

I am going to Salmon House on the Hill next weekend.

I'm feeling slightly worried. A little sick to my stomach. My last experience there was less than amazing, and I sort of remember getting a feeling of queasiness after eating their house pate. That was years ago.

However.

I just read the reviews online and they more or less cemented my fears. The consensus? Lazy cooking, unimaginative dishes and ingredients that aren't fresh. This is a sin in Vancouver, a place where fresh seafood is always at your fingertips. Maybe the fish delivery truck had a difficult time making it up that hill?

I think that most people who walk into a restaurant with some sort of prejudice get exactly what they're expecting. Lucky for me, my preconceived ideas don't often taint my final judgment. It's just that ... well, I'm never wrong in these scenarios. It's true. But, you never know -- maybe this will be the first time? I hope it is, because I'm having dinner with my pseudo-boyfriend's parents (who are visiting from England) and I'll have to choke the food down and feign happiness if it's half as crappy as everyone claims. Yeesh.

Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. Well, I went. The chowder was like a tin of tomato soup with overcooked bits in it and Ian's mum commented that it was nowhere near as good as the one she'd had in Banff. I'm hardly surprised. The rest of the food was pretty mediocre -- not absolutely awful, just something that I would actively avoid if I could. Which I tried to do, though to no avail.

    The best part of the evening? Ian's mum gave me a lovely china mug decorated with watercolors of verbena and other flowering herbs. That, and the fact that I finally got to see CC's Tsawwassen house, which was like an extended Vancouver special. Quite something!

    ReplyDelete