Tuesday, July 28, 2009


Cosmetics

Reviewing: SHU UEMURA PHYTO BLACK LIFT RADIANCE BOOSTING LOTION
Approx. $45 U.S., purchased at Holt Renfrew, also available at Sephora.com

This received fairly decent reviews, so I decided to give it a try. It's one of those Japanese moisturizing lotions that has the consistency of a toner. The Phyto Black ingredients are black tea and black sugar, while the lotion's AHA Fruit Complex Extract is designed to stimulate cell turnover; hence, the "radiance" that comes with using it.

Like all of Shu Uemura's products, the packaging is sleek and minimalist: it looks like the kind of thing a model would have in her carry-on luggage. It doesn't really have a scent, and it does exactly what it's supposed to: it lightly moisturizes and smooths the skin. HOWEVER, I have insanely sensitive combination skin and, of course, it reacted to the product. I started to develop enlarged pores that were clogged with hardened little bits. It could be that the hot weather is encouraging this reaction, but it is a fairly upsetting side-effect because the enlarged pores never disappear. Such irony: it makes my skin smooth and beautiful while at the same time creatng some of the most unsightly blemishes I've ever had.

I went back and asked the girl at the counter if there was anything I could do. She suggested that I needed to cleanse my face before using the lotion (I stopped cleaning my face when I realized that my face broke out from several of the soaps I was using). She gave me samples of face oil -- something I'm quite afraid of, because Softymo's and Kose's both made me break out -- and I gave it a try. I then used the boosting lotion. My pores started to enlarge again. Damn!

I'd recommend this product to anyone who doesn't have terribly sensitive skin. I'm a huge fan of Shu Uemura, and I'm sad to give this product away (especially at the price!), but such is the way of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment