Monday, July 27, 2009

Summer '09: Trends I'm Hating

Trends can be all fine and dandy if they show off a certain sense of individual style at the same time. However, with the appearance of Aritzia, our streets are now flooded with Wilfred and Talula knock-offs. It's like a more sophisticated, less tacky version of H&M (I hate H&M!!!), yet it's so prevalent that it ceases to have meaning.


Consider the picture to the left: the Aritzia blog claims that these 3 staff members wore these outfits on the same day, and it was completely unplanned. I think this vividly demonstrates how unimaginative these people are. I won't deny that they would look perfectly okay -- or even stylish -- if you saw the individual girl walking down another city street. However, once you realize that EVERYONE in Vancouver is wearing the same planned outfit, the same brands, the same style ... well, it gets damned annoying. It's like those girls who used to dress head-to-toe in American Apparel -- blech.






Consider this look: very cute on a random slim, pretty girl who loves that I'm-with-the-band look. Now, the only thing I see when a girl passes by in her ridiculous, overly planned version of this outfit is "Taylor Momsen trying too hard." God, I hate that girl; she's all of sixteen and she's the most desperate starlet I've seen in a while. She could start a club with Dakota Fanning. Jesus.

Hate List:

planned "I didn't try" outfits that include boyfriend-anything (blazers, plaid shirts, shorts, jeans, etc.)
short shorts that look more like underwear
fedoras and straw hats
gladiator sandals
new "worn" scarves wrapped around your necks (you know what I'm talking about, hipsters at the Astoria -- you usually wear them with bright jeans/leggings/pantyhose and some long, tight t-shirt)

Please, please, please, for the love of God -- move on.

NOTE: To the mother who brought the gaggle of stupid teenage girls to "Bruno" last week, I hope God smites you down, you horrible excuse for a human being. That your daughter was such a frickin' cow at the age of 14 and she and her friends dressed and acted like jackasses while you stood by, smiling blandly as they rudely abused me at the box office ... well, parents like you make me seriously consider enforced sterilization.

Thank you.





















No comments:

Post a Comment